Sunday, April 24, 2011

Pokemon Card of the Day: Ampharos (Platinum)

Today's Pokemon Card of the Day is Ampharos from the Platinum set. Before I get too far into the review, I will start reviewing the Black and White cards tomorrow and I plan on reviewing every rare in the set consecutively, so look forward to that. Anyways, Ampharos is a stage 2, electric type Pokemon, with an hp of 130. It has a +30 weakness to fighting type Pokemon, a -20 resistance to metal type Pokemon, and a two colorless energy card retreat cost. Ampharos's Poke-Body is called Damage Bind and says that any Pokemon in play that has damage counters on it can't use Poke-Powers. Ampharos has two moves in addition to the Poke-Body, its first move is called Gigavolt and this move requires two energy cards, one each of electric and colorless, and does 30 damage plus 30 more damage if you get a heads from a coin flip, if you get a tails the defending Pokemon is paralyzed. Ampharos's second move is called Reflect Energy and for three energy cards, two colorless and one electric, it does 70 damage but unfortunately you have to move one of the energy cards attached to Ampharos to one of your benched Pokemon after using this move. As far as strategy goes, I would recommend using another electric type Pokemon in your deck that does some spread damage so when you have Ampharos in play your opponent can't use any Poke-Powers. Other than that this card is pretty straightforward, I would use Gigavolt when I have two energy cards on Ampharos, and Reflect Energy when I have three. I would give this card a 3 out of 5. To me there is just not anything too special about this card, I do like that you can do extra stuff with both of Ampharos's moves, it doesn't really matter if you get a heads or a tail when you use Gigavolt, you can still do something, and even though you have to move an energy card from Ampharos with Reflect Energy you can at least move it to another Pokemon. So thanks for reading today's review of Ampharos from the Platinum set, stay tuned for tomorrow's review of a Black and White Pokemon card.

1 comment:

David said...

Nice review, but I feel you need a bit more in depth analysis with regards to how this could be used. For example, Ampharos works pretty well with Absol prime, meaning that Uxies and Crobats can't be used at all.

I'd love some more strategy tips in your reviews :D