Saturday, April 3, 2010

Pokemon Card of the Day: Steelix GL (Rising Rivals)

Today's Pokemon Card of the Day is Steelix GL from the Rising Rivals set, for a basic Pokemon this has pretty good Hp at 110, but it has a terrible retreat cost and weakness. It's retreat cost is 4 colorless energy, so you won't ever be able to retreat this thing, and a x2 weakness to fire can really be costly since fire Pokemon are used so much, it does have a -20 hp resistance to Psychic Pokemon which does help some, but it still doesn't make up for the x2 weakness to fire Pokemon. Steelix GL doesn't have a Poke-Body or Poke-Power but it does have two moves. The first is called Mend which takes two colorless energy and if you do this move it allows you to search your discard pile for a metal energy and attach it to Steelix GL and if you do then you may remove 1 damage counter from Steelix. This is a good move but I would have liked it a lot better if it wouldn't have cost two energy, that seems really high to me. Steelix's second move is called Squeeze and needs four energy cards to execute this move, two metal, two colorless, and Squeeze does 30 hp damage + if you flip a coin and get heads it does 50 more damage and the defending Pokemon is paralyzed. This move really isn't that good either, but at least you don't have to discard any energy, and if you get heads twice in a row it can do 160 hp damage in two turns without your opponent's active Pokemon doing anything at all. The only thing with this move is that it will take awhile to get the necessary energy to be very powerful with this card. As far as strategy goes, I would want to get Steelix GL on my bench and get at least 2 energy cards on it before I put it as my active Pokemon, then I could use Mend to get 2 energy cards at once on Steelix so the next turn I could use Squeeze. But once I get 4 energy on Steelix I would only use Squeeze, until Steelix is knocked out. Other than that I would make sure I have supporter/trainers to get enough energy cards to Steelix so I can use it right away. So thanks for reading this review and stay tuned for tomorrow's review of Dialga G Lv. X.

8 comments:

HitmonRyan said...

Hey PrimetimePokemon, great review as always :) but do you think sometime in the future you could review Ampharos from Heart Gold and Soul Silver and also do you trade through the internet? if so, I'd like to trade with you.

primetimeseminoles said...

hey primetimepokemon im a follower ive sent you 2 FCBMs i think im your #1 fan !!!

PrimetimePokemon said...

@HitmonRyan I will be reviewing Ampharos Prime in about a week or so, and I usually don't trade via the Internet, since I've gotten ripped off before doing that.

Tyguy said...

Hey Primetime,
I pulled a Shaymin Lv. X out of my Meganium prime tin. I also got a Dusknoir holo and a drapion promo. Now today I am getting a Blister Pack. I'm not sure which one, but I think it will be Jolteon.

Tyguy said...

Hey,
How much is a Diamond and Pearl Collectors Box?

Garrett Williamson (Hgssprime) said...

Hey can i recommend you do 2 cards and how they can be used together in a review?

Darkrai lv X and Shiftree from rising rivals. Have shiftree on your bench and darkrai lv X as your active. Use endless darkness and then your next turn switch darkrai with shiftree. Darkrais endless darkness puts the opponent to sleep and you have to flip 2 coins instead of 1 and if either of the flips is tails then the opponent is still asleep and if both are tails the opponent is knocked out. When you switch drakrai with shiftree you can use shiftrees unlucky wind which does when ever an opponent flips a coin it counts as tails. So no matter what the opponent gets knocked out!

PrimetimePokemon said...

@Larry $24.99 or $19.99 I can't remember for sure, but you can only get them at Target or online.

@Goofy thanks for the analysis, whenever you have anything to say about the cards, how they can be used, etc, go ahead and comment, thanks!

xxsacredrelicxx said...

@PrimetimePokemon and Larry the Diamond & Pearl Collectors Box is $25.00 while the Platinum one is $19.00. I want the D&P one so much, but at least I already have the Platinum one.